Almonds are a healthy, delicious and versatile nut. Thus, they can be consumed alone or as an ingredient in various recipes and desserts, as in the case of the exquisite almond croissant.
Do you want to know how to prepare it? You have all the information in this post.
How to make an almond croissant? Recipe and preparation step by step
Ingredients of the almond croissant
Before knowing the step by step elaboration of the delicious almond croissants, let’s see what ingredients are necessary.
Ingredients for the croissant dough
- 600 grams of flour without yeast
- 100 grams of white sugar
- 12 grams of salt
- 10 grams of instant yeast
- 360 ml of warm water
Ingredients for the croissant filling
- 100 grams of almond flour
- 90 grams of powdered sugar
- 70 grams unsalted butter
- 30 grams of unleavened flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the laminate
- 250 grams of unsalted butter
Ingredients for painting and decorating the croissant
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of warm water
- Rolled almonds
Making the almond croissants
Now that we know the ingredients needed to prepare the almond croissants recipe, it is time to start making them.
How to make the almond croissant dough?
- First, put the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix. Then, we open a hole in the center and add the liquid ingredients.
- Knead by hand for about 20 minutes. If you use a mixer at medium-low intensity, the estimated time will be 10 minutes.
- Let the dough rest to ferment in a warm place for 1 hour. Then, remove the air, flatten it slightly with your hands, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for half an hour.
How to make the almond croissant filling?
- Put the unsalted butter and powdered sugar in a bowl. Then beat it with the help of a hand mixer.
- Add the egg and beat until it joins the mixture.
- Incorporate the flours and salt. With the help of a spatula, mix until smooth. Then, simply refrigerate it while you prepare the croissants.
How to prepare the butter to laminate the almond croissants?
At this stage, our goal is to obtain a rectangle of butter 30×20 cm and half a centimeter thick. To do this, simply follow the steps below:
- We cut the butter into cubes and, with the help of a baking paper, we enclose it forming a rectangle with the mentioned measures.
- With a rolling pin we stretch the butter until we get a rectangle of 30×20 cm with half a centimeter thick.
- We keep it in the refrigerator until the moment of preparing the laminate.
How is the almond croissant rolled?
- After removing the dough and butter from the refrigerator, we roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Its length should be 1.5 times the length of the butter, while its width should be 2-3 cm larger.
- Place the butter in the lower area. Leave 3 cm of margin at its base.
- Fold the upper third of the dough and fold it over the butter. In this way, we will only see half of the butter.
- Now we fold the lower part, overlapping it to the dough. This way we get 3 layers of dough and another 3 layers of butter.
At this point, if we notice that the butter is too soft, it is advisable to wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 30-60 minutes before continuing with the preparation of the almond croissants. Otherwise, there is a risk that it will melt and become incorporated into the dough and lose its flakiness.
If the dough and butter have a similar texture and consistency, we can proceed to make the folds.
- We make the first fold. To do this, we place the dough in the opposite direction to the folds made previously and, with the help of a rolling pin, we stretch it only lengthwise until it reaches 50 cm.
- If you have used flour, remove the excess with a brush. Then we fold in 3 parts, as we did before with the dough and butter. Now we have 9 layers of dough and butter.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 minutes or, if it is hot, an hour.
- We make the second round. Stretch the dough again in the opposite direction to the folds made, remove the excess flour with a brush and fold again in 3.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for half an hour or, if desired, overnight.
How to cut and form the almond croissants?
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough until it is 30×40 cm and 5-7 mm thick. Then cut the edges to make it as straight and rectangular as possible.
- With the help of a ruler, make a small mark every 10 cm on the two long sides of the dough. Then, with a knife, cut the triangles. To do this, we start with the first 10 cm mark, which should go to the corner of the rectangle. Repeat until you have all the triangles.
- Remove the excess flour with a brush and lengthen the triangles 3 more centimeters. Slightly stretch the base.
- Now, take two tablespoons of the filling, form a ball with your hands and place it in the center of each of the triangles.
- Roll the triangles. To do this, we start at the base so that the tip is just below the croissant. Then we press lightly so that it sticks well.
How to paint, bake and decorate the croissants?
- Place baking paper on a baking tray and place the croissants on top. Then mix the egg with the water and paint them.
- Let the almond croissants ferment in a warm place for about 2 hours.
- After this time, we paint them again and, on their surface, we add some exquisite sliced almonds.
- Bake at 200ºC between 20 and 30 minutes and, when cooled, sprinkle with sugar.
El Nogal Wellness Nuts, supplier of superior quality almonds
El Nogal Wellness Nuts offers the food sector and distribution the best varieties of Spanish almonds (Marcona, Valencia…). Innovative and unique recipes that will conquer the most demanding palates. For more information, please download the El Nogal Wellness Nuts catalog.