Almond flour is always an excellent alternative because, besides being nutritious, it is low in carbohydrates. On the other hand, it is suitable for all types of diets, even for coeliacs, as it does not contain gluten.
Do you want to know more about it? We will tell you how to make homemade almond flour, what kinds of recipes it is usually used for and some of the best preparations that can be made.
Almond flour, what does it provide and what is it used for?
Almond meal comes from ground almonds. It is characterized by having a sweeter taste than other flours, such as wheat flour, and by offering a high nutritional value. It is rich in protein, fiber, vitamin E, antioxidants and minerals such as potassium and magnesium. It is also low in carbohydrates and does not contain gluten, making it ideal for coeliacs.
In gastronomy, almond meal is really versatile. In fact, it can be used to make all kinds of recipes, from pastries and sweets (cookies, muffins, cakes, biscuits…) or batter, to other types of preparations such as bread, pizzas, pancakes…
How to make homemade almond flour?
Almond flour can be purchased in supermarkets, grocery stores or herbalists, but it can also be prepared at home. In fact, its preparation is very simple and quick.
Preparing almond flour with skin(Almond meal). When grinding almonds with skin, the resulting color will be darker. This option is recommended if you want to take full advantage of the properties of the skin, since it has a high content of polyphenols, a powerful antioxidant.
Preparing almond flour without skin. The flour of the almonds without skin will be whiter.
Is it necessary to brown the almonds in the pan before grinding them?
It is not necessary, although it is advisable if you want to enhance the flavor of the flour. Besides, it is a very useful step to slightly dehydrate the almonds and obtain a finer flour.
However, in the case of this previous step, it is important to let them cool before grinding, otherwise a paste may form.
How to remove the skin from almonds?
If you want to make flour with almonds without skin, you have two options: buy the nuts already peeled or peel them yourself. In the latter case, just put them in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain them and run them under cold water. Finally, just dry them with a cloth and carefully remove the skin.
Preparing homemade almond flour step by step
- Use a blender or a food processor to grind them.
- Sift the flour to remove the larger pieces so that the final result is finer and smoother.
Where to store homemade almond flour?
It is best to store it in an airtight container and in the refrigerator to preserve its freshness.
Homemade recipes made with almond flour
Here are 2 delicious recipes that you can prepare with almond flour at home or, why not, in your catering business. This way you have the possibility to expand your menu and offer diners healthy and gluten-free alternatives.
Chocolate chip cookies
The recipe for chocolate chip cookies made with almond flour is very easy to make and also delicious.
- 300 gr almond flour
- 4 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons solid coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
Preparation of the chocolate chip cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients: almond flour, chocolate chips, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Let the mixture stand for about 5 minutes.
- Line the baking pan with baking paper.
- With wet hands or with the help of a spoon, form the cookies and place them on the tray.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and wait for them to cool before tasting.
Almond flour sponge cake
An exquisite recipe, ideal to accompany the best breakfasts or snacks.
- 250 gr of almond flour
- 180 gr almond yogurt
- 150 gr of sugar
- 2 small spoonfuls of baker’s yeast
- 100 gr liquid coconut oil
- 80 ml almond milk
Preparation of the sponge cake with almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a bowl, mix the almond flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and vanilla. Then add the yogurt and the almond milk, as well as the oil and mix well.
- Use a cake pan previously greased with a little oil and add the batter.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Let it cool and taste it.
El Nogal Wellness Nuts, supplier of gourmet almonds
El Nogal Wellness Nuts is a supplier of the highest quality almonds, which makes available to the catering, food and hospitality sector with the most surprising recipes, based on Mediterranean flavors and tradition.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please download our catalog. We will be happy to listen to you and advise you on everything you need.