Almond flour is an excellent alternative to wheat flour and other processed flours. The reasons? It has a high nutritional value and multiple health benefits. In addition, it is gluten-free, making it suitable for coeliacs. For all these reasons, almond flour can become a good gastronomic ally, especially in baking, since it has an exquisite sweet taste.
If you want to know more about it, read on. We reveal everything about almond flour, from its characteristics to its health benefits and the main differences with other types of flour. We also show you how to make homemade almond flour.
What is almond flour?
Almond flour is made from ground almonds, either whole or peeled. It stands out for being a great source of nutrients, vitamins and proteins, as well as being low in carbohydrates. In addition, it does not contain grains or gluten, so it is suitable for coeliacs or for people who have to watch their diet.
Nutritional information on almond flour
Almond flour has a high nutritional value. Thus, 28 grams contain:
- 163 calories.
- 14.2 grams of fat, of which 9 grams are monounsaturated.
- 6.1 grams of protein.
- 5.6 grams of carbohydrates.
- 3 grams of dietary fiber.
- 35% of the RDI of vitamin E.
- 31% of the RDI of manganese.
- 19% of the RDI of magnesium.
- 16% of the RDI of copper.
- 13% of the RDI of phosphorus.
Benefits of almond flour
This type of nut flour is very beneficial for your health. But do you know why?
Almond flour has high levels of vitamin E, giving it great antioxidant power that protects our cells from free radical damage. In addition, several studies show that vitamin E consumption is associated with a lower risk of heart disease.
Blood sugar control
Its low carbohydrate content and high content of healthy fats and fiber give it a low glycaemic index. Thus, unlike other processed flours, sugar is gradually released into the bloodstream after ingestion, guaranteeing a continuous energy supply.
Furthermore, it should not be forgotten that almond flour contains magnesium, a mineral that helps to control blood sugar, regardless of whether the person consuming it has type 2 diabetes or not. It is also suitable for those with high cholesterol because it contains unsaturated fats.
A source of healthy energy
Thanks to its protein content, almond flour is also an excellent alternative for athletes who need an extra dose of healthy energy.
Suitable for coeliacs
One of the great benefits of this nut flour is that it is gluten-free. Therefore, it can be consumed by coeliacs and people with intolerance to this protein, which is found in wheat, spelt, rye, oats, barley…
Differences between almond flour and other flours in cuisine
One of the main differences between almond flour and other types of flour is the gluten content, which is non-existent in almond flour. In addition, there are other characteristics that make it unique and that are necessary to know.
- Flavor. Most common flours have a very mild flavor, so it is very easy to go unnoticed in various gastronomic recipes (cookies, cakes…). However, the same does not happen with almond flour, since it has a sweet taste, but it leaves a strong presence in the elaborations.
- Fats. As it has a high content of healthy fats, almond flour confers a higher degree of moisture to the preparations.
- Shelf life. Common flours have a shelf life of 6 to 8 months in the pantry or up to 1 year if stored in the refrigerator. Almond flour, on the other hand, has a shelf life of a few months in the pantry and up to 6 months in the refrigerator.
How to make homemade almond flour?
Preparing almond flour is very simple and useful, as it can be incorporated into various recipes, especially in baking.
- 2 cups of peeled almonds.
- Heat the almonds in a frying pan for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. In this way, you will dehydrate them so that the resulting flour is finer.
- Let the almonds cool. Then use a blender or food processor to grind them.
- Sift the flour in order to remove the larger pieces. Finally, store it in the refrigerator and use it whenever you want.
El Nogal Wellness Nuts, supplier of gourmet almonds
El Nogal Wellness Nuts is a supplier of premium almonds of Spanish origin (Marcona, Valencia…). Top quality ingredients and unique elaborations to enjoy an explosion of flavor. Mediterranean gastronomy in its purest form.
We have the best recipes for the food sector and retail outlets in order to satisfy the needs and tastes of Spanish cuisine lovers.
Do you want more information? Download our catalog!. We will be happy to listen to you and help you.